Friday, May 06, 2005

I am speaking Japanese, aren't I?

Cherry Blossoms

Another Golden Week has been and gone, and it was lovely to have a week off and get paid for it! That's one thing that's nice about Japan, everyone takes holidays at the same time, so unless you work for Nova, you get paid vacations on Japanese national holidays. The downside is everyone gets their vacations at the same time, so everywhere you go is crowded, expensive, and just plain irritating. So,I just went on a few little daytrips around Nagoya (like to Nabana Village, where the photo was taken - amazing gardens there). I also did a fair amount of studying Japanese. I'm taking some correspondence courses through Massey University in New Zealand, so I really want to get better at Japanese. I figure I'm here, and I'm missing out on a lot by not understanding what's around me, so it's good incentive.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother though. Yesterday I went to a bookstore to buy a world map in English, and was asking the salesman (in Japanese) if they had any in stock. First I get led to the English book section, but he starts showing me touristy books about Japan. "Eigo no sekai no chizu onegaishimasu" I said again (English world map please). Then he takes me to the guide book section, and starts showing me atlases. I said I didn't want a book, I wanted a map to hang on my wall. At this he looks confused, and scurries off. Another guy comes and starts talking to me in English, and starts showing me the atlases again. By now I'm thinking what is wrong with the staff, are they just too freaked out having a foreigner speak Japanese to them? And how did they know I spoke English, I could have been a German tourist for all they know. Everyone just assumes if you are a foreigner, you speak English. So, after telling him again that I didn't want an atlas, I wanted an English map (and this is all in English), he takes me to the map section. Thank god I'm thinking. But wait, there's more. First he starts showing me Japanese maps, which I explain are useless to me - trying to read names like Afghanistan in katakana is enough to make anyone nuts. Then he shows me English maps, but those old antique collector ones, not a current modern style map. After telling him again what I want, he says "We don't have that, try Tokyu Hands" (another store). GOD!!! What a mission! Thank god Tokyu Hands had one, and they actually spoke to me in Japanese and understood what I wanted!! It's enough to make you give up and think "Why bother?".

But, last Saturday I went to a friend's barbeque. She speaks English, but her friends and family don't (they're all Japanese). So, I got to practice my Japanese, and I actually understood most of what was going on. People also seemed to understand what I was saying, which was a relief!! It was my first time being basically in an only Japanese setting at a party, so it was good to know that all my studying is actually starting to sink in! I'm a little worried about the oral tests for my university courses, so maybe I just need to go to more parties, have a few drinks, and practice lots!! I guess there could be worse ways to spend my time!!

All in all, I think I'm improving and understanding more. I can understand a little more of the tv and such, which is good (not that it's quality programs or anything like that!). It seems to be worth it, but when stuff like yesterday happens, it seriously makes me question what I'm doing!! My friends said that a lot of Japanese aren't used to hearing foreigners speak their language, so when you do, they kind of freak out and don't know how to react. Just something else to get used to here I guess. Certainly makes life "entertaining"!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i love your site. im graduating from highschool this weekend with plans to study japanese in college. and in a couple weeks im flying to tokyo for the first time as a graduation gift from my disgustingly wealthy godmother. your posts are funny and i feel like im getting a good idea of what it would be like to work and live there as a foreigner.

if you have any tips or anything please e-mail me at asraiwaters@hotmail.com

__ stephanie

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good stuff. Happens all the time. And no doubt you're used to it now.

Cheers.

Jim

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I am just come across your blog and found it's kind of interesting and love to read.Also it help me to see Japan and Japanese in a different way...
Please keep writing .
Thanks.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Sandeep said...

Hi, I came here because you like Monsoon Wedding. It was a nice blog with a multifaceted views. All observations are expressed in a very neat manner with a vehement exposition of some rare emotions. I also write my paroxysm of some worthy emotions, so if you want...Can check mine...I koved your site...dona

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home